In preparations for the ministerial segment of the 62nd session of the Commission of Narcotic Drugs (CND), to be held in 2019, the Commission will host a number of thematic discussions in autumn. The first round of discussions will take place September 25-28, in Vienna, Austria.
For each thematic segment 4-5 NGOs will have the possibility to present their work and positioning. In order to ensure an inclusive, comprehensive and meaningful civil society participation NGOs will work through the Civil Society Task Force (CSTF) to coordinate contributions.
Each speaker will have 5 minutes to present his or her work on the thematic focus of the day (see official work plan for details):
- 25 September 2018: Demand reduction and related measures, including:
- Reducing drug abuse and dependence through a comprehensive approach;
- Prevention of drug abuse;
- Treatment of drug use disorders, rehabilitation, recovery and social reintegration; prevention, treatment and care of HIV/AIDS, viral hepatitis and other blood-borne infectious diseases;
- Eliminating or reducing significantly and measurably the illicit demand for narcotic drugs and psychotropic substances; and drug-related health and social risks;
- 26 September 2018: Ensuring the availability of and access to controlled substances exclusively for medical and scientific purposes, while preventing their diversion
- 27 September 2018: Cross-cutting issues: drugs, and human rights, youth, children, women and communities
In order to apply for a speaking slot, please fill out the application form by 23 August 2018, 11: 55 p.m. (CEST, Vienna local time). The speaker selection will follow the CSTF guidelines and selected candidates will be notified as soon as possible but no later than 29 August 2018.
Selected speakers will be asked to send in their statements or videos incl. transcripts no later than 11 September 2018. Interpretation in official UN languages (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish) will be available at the meetings but all abstracts have to be submitted in English.
Please note that no funding is available to cover your travel to and accommodation in Vienna. In case your organisation cannot cover your travel costs, please apply for a video message.
The meetings will in all likelihood be webcast on the CND website.
Please share this form with your respective partners and networks to ensure a wide as possible opportunity to engage.
Thank you and looking forward to your applications.